Sunday, January 28, 2007

you find amazing people everywhere.

Last night featured a comedy of errors involving me needing to get to the Lower East Side via the L train and the F train, while unfortunately the L and the F were running on a schedule that essentially came down to “This train is running on a normal schedule, except for the stops you want to get off at. We’re skipping those, while giggling softly to ourselves.” So I ended up on the exact opposite side of town from where I needed to be, 30 minutes after I needed to be there, and jumped into a cab.

The driver was playing soft Indian music and when I got in he asked “How are you doing?” I told him I was well, and how are you, “I am doing great!” he replied. “It is a beautiful night, and I am so happy to be alive and well.”

He was humming softly along to the music, and began telling me the story of the singer when we were stuck at a light on West 4th and Broadway. The singer had been killed in India by her stepsons who did not want her to have half of their father’s wealth when he died, it has been 5 years and they are still not in jail. The cab driver continues to talk to me about the horrors of murder, how it is the worst thing in the world, and how those people don’t deserve to live in such an otherwise beautiful world.

A homeless man came car door to car door at the next intersection, collecting change in a jar. The driver rolled down the window and handed the man change. “God bless you” the driver said, and you could tell that he meant it.

We eventually made it to my destination and I leaned forward to pay him. “Have a good life,” he told me. “Good luck in everything in you do, learn to appreciate every day. God bless you.”

“God bless you too.” I said. And he could tell that I meant it.

I love this city.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home